This powerful statement has proven true in my life and in every life I’ve had the privilege of participating in.
You probably have a sense about the limiting beliefs you’re holding. You also understand how profoundly they’ve shaped your thoughts, actions, and reality.
Learning how your limiting beliefs are created is the first step in stopping new ones from forming. Next, you need to know how to create empowering beliefs so you can actively cultivate them. Finally, you’ll need some tools to help you reveal and undermine beliefs that hinder your greatest expression.
Let’s get to it.
How to Create Limiting Beliefs – Our collective experience.
1) Have an open and unguarded mind, preferably one that’s immature, trusting, afraid, and/or vulnerable. Your childhood mind was especially susceptible.
2) Have a source. This source can be a relative, a religious dignitary, a teacher, a friend, a neighbor, a stranger, or an event.
3) Let the source generate an opinion about you or the world. To improve the impact of this opinion, choose a source that has back up in the form of other people, societal norms and stereotypes, or religion.
4) Assign meaning. Let your open mind take the message conveyed by the source and assign a self-harming or negative meaning to the message. Decide that the message is true, irrefutably true.
5) Drive it home. Repeat your limiting belief to yourself over and over and over and over and over and over. Let it run in the back of your mind. Ask yourself for evidence of why it’s true for you.
6) Prove it. Identify evidence to support your new “truth.” Search the world for people, writings, songs, TV shows, grades, evaluations, comments, and other events you can shape and see in a light that affirms your new limiting belief.
7) Go all in. Project your limiting belief onto others. If someone doesn’t return your call, or looks at you in a questionable way, or forgets your birthday, or breaks up with you, or insert event here _________, swear to yourself and the universe that it’s all because of the negative beliefs that you’ve elevated to truths about you.
8) Let your new limiting beliefs govern your choices and what you think is possible for you. Give your power to them and tailor your life around them.
Once you’ve done all of the above, you’ll fully express your limiting beliefs. They’ll block your truth and all of the good that’s seeking expression in your life. This is exactly what you don’t want, yet every one of us suffers from it.
THE BRIGHTER SIDE
How to Create Empowered Beliefs
1) Have an open and receptive mind, preferably one that’s mature, self-respecting, centered, and optimistic.
2) Have a VETTED source. This source can be you, a teacher, a friend, a neighbor, a stranger, a book, your higher-self and/or your Source. Vet your source by verifying that it loves and believes in you.
3) Choose an empowered belief. To improve the impact of this belief, choose a source who has back up. Back up in the form of other people or ideas you resonate with and admire and those who are motivated by kindness and love for you are ideal.
4) Assign meaning. Let your open mind take the message conveyed by your Source and assign meaning to the message. Ideally, you’ll decide the message is true, irrefutably true.
5) Drive it home. Repeat your new empowered belief to yourself over and over and over and over and over and over. Let it run in the back of your mind. Ask yourself why it’s true for you. KNOW IT. (Affirmations anyone?)
6) Prove it. Look for evidence to support your new “truth.” Search the world for people, writings, songs, TV shows, grades, evaluations, comments, and other events you can see in a light that affirms your new limiting belief.
7) Go all in. Project your empowering belief onto others. If someone doesn’t return your call, or looks at you in a questionable way, or forgets your birthday, or breaks up with you, or insert event here _________, swear to yourself and the Universe that you are the same lovable, worthy, and wonderful person you were before, and what others do is not about you.
8) Let your new empowered beliefs govern your choices and what you think it possible for you. Give them your power and obey them.
Whatever you focus on, immerse yourself in, repeat over and over, and look for proof of becomes true for you.
Shining Light on Hidden Limiting Beliefs
Write a letter to life, or money, or people you’ve encountered challenges with. In your letter, explain the nature of your relationship and ask the following questions:
What does it mean to you?
What happens that upsets you?
What would you do if you had unlimited self-esteem and resources?
What would you like to change between you?
What’s wrong with you in this situation?
Don’t mail or share these writings. Read them to discover your limiting beliefs.
Rewrite your limiting beliefs into empowered ones and make them a part of your life. Behave as though they are true. Reread the “How to Create Empowered Beliefs” section above. The road out from limiting beliefs is very similar to the road in. The key difference is you using your awareness and conscious choice to identify and reinforce the beliefs that you desire to build your life upon.